Friday, February 23, 2018

Fitness Friday

Yes, it's finally Friday!

This week, I'm doing better with my fitness goals. I had to take a week off earlier in the month because my plantar fasciitis was acting up. Rather than injure it worse by plodding through, I decided to take it easy for awhile.

That was a good idea.

This week, I've made some gains with my 5K training. I did 8 minute-long runs and upped my running pace to 5.5 or 6 mph.

I went to yoga twice, and also decided to simplify my workout routine a bit more. As I hate to work out, the 6 workouts per week was beginning to wear on me. Rather than sending me out the door in a better mood with more energy, it was bringing me down. I was going to bed at 8:30 each night and not looking forward to the morning. There are certainly benefits to a morning workout. And the days I run/walk, I do feel a surge of added energy and a lift in mood. But, when I tried to do it every day of the work week (a.m. run M/W/F, a.m. strength T/TH, plus yoga p.m. T/TH, and strength Sun) I was burning myself out on fitness.

For some people, working out all the time is great. They look forward to it, and it's a number one personal goal. By working out so much, I actually began to feel that this goal was taking precedence over my other two (marriage/sex and writing/blogging). I only have so many hours in a day.

So I did a little time blocking session using Google Calendar. I color code my calendar based on several factors...mainly: work, reading/writing, family time & time to focus on Mr. D, fitness, housework, appointments, sleep, and events. If one color starts to take over, I know I have a problem. If a color is missing or rare, I also know I have a problem (sometimes).

I came up with a new, simpler plan that seems to be working better. I do my 5K training T, Th, and Sunday morning. I go to yoga T/Th evenings. I know I should be getting some strength training in, but...I'm just gonna let that one go for awhile.

1 comment:

Southern Swinger said...

Blogger Southern Swinger said...

I thought I was publishing here rather than you previous post. But hey I am old due some slack. Well I am an 83 year old male who has been around the track a time or two. When I went to a dance or party in my college days I always looked for the size 12/14. Around 5'4' to 5'5'. Then I married one and we were together 59 years. At 80 she complained that they made a 14 smaller than when she was younger. When we were in our late 40's we found a clothing option beach and we could go naked all day.We lived close by so were there most weekends. We were regulars there for about 25 years. This was in NC at the Pea Island Wildlife Refuge and one could walk for miles naked without seeing anyone who was not naked.We were in our 60's when we stopped going. Her attitude was everybody has a body and this was hers and she was proud to show it. She was also body painted at Key West Fantasy Fest. That said keep exercising, healthy diet, etc not to reduce your dress size but to be healthy and live a long life. Go naked. You look great.